Saturday, August 9, 2008

Interesting story from News24 - Youth leaders

Youth leaders letting us down

Aug 07 2008 08:13:54:520AM

News24 User Ndumiso Khoza wishes the youth leaders of South Africa
would understand they do not need to be militant to be popular and
effective.

Ndumiso Khoza, News24 User

Where are the true leaders of our Youth? I am sure that I am not the
only one who poses this question to themselves every time we hear
statements from our ever vocal and exuberant ANCYL leaders.

It does not matter what contentious issue they are addressing, they
just always have to err on the side of sensationalism. As I
flabbergasted as I get from any comment made by the youth league, the
thing they have over anyone else is at least we now all know who the
president of the ANC Youth League is, something that cannot be said
about any other political party youth leader.

By boosting their popularity and cementing their authority in the
country, I personally feel that they have done a great injustice to
all youths of this country who stand for integrity and
professionalism.

I keep wondering exactly who their target market is lately. Is it the
educated and working youth of this country or those who are just
interested in being swayed by a lot of noise and possibly free
handouts in future?

I admit that I might be a little hard on my comrades, but man do these
guys lose me. Before I can even get a chance to understand their line
of thinking and reasoning, I'm already put off by the tone and style
of their messaging. I am not militant and don't get overzealous or
emotionally bullied by hearing someone speak very passionately and
loudly about a matter I might take to heart.

Synpathise

As a black South African, I do sympathise with the struggle of my
fellow black brothers and sisters. Not because I feel sorry for anyone
or think I am better than any of them. Indeed I sympathise due to my
connectedness with them.

The struggle of any black person due to any racial injustice is their
own personal struggle, whether anyone admits it or not. I will never
be completely satisfied with who I am or what I have achieved until I
see every black person liberated from their unseen bondage to the
past. Without the liberation struggle I might not have achieved all
that I have and am yet to achieve.

Yet as grateful as I am, I do not have to blindly agree and conform to
anything the ANC or especially its youth league advocates. To appeal
to a more inclusive audience, they need to start applying reason and
making clear what they stand for.

Many people feel lost and despondent and are looking for leadership.
What the ANCYL is displaying is not true leadership in my opinion. A
true leader is one who sets clear guidelines and direction for the
benefit of his followers. He or she places those he leads with higher
regard than himself.

Competent leaders

I know for a fact that there are lot of more competent leaders out
there. That they don't think politics is something worth their while
is understandable. But we can no longer just sit by and be
misrepresented by those who are in these influential positions.

Unfortunately the demise of one black man is still seen as the demise
of all blacks. And the blunders of the ANCYL are unfortunately seen as
the failure of all the black youths of South Africa. I don't have to
be a card carrying member of the ANC to care about the future of this
country. And what the current leadership of the ANCYL represent cannot
be seen as nothing less than the future leadership of this country.

We have a vested interest to see leaders of such organisations tapping
into our values and affect us the most. At the rate we are going, less
people will identify or comprehend how this democracy has supporting
its people.

Something even the ANCYL should be weary of.


Read the story online:
http://www.news24.com/News24/MyNews24/Your_story/0,,2-2127-2128_2371351,00.html

No comments: